Neurodevelopmental Center of Excellence (NCE)
Genesee Health System (GHS) is Genesee County’s public mental health provider. GHS has provided services to Genesee County residents for more than 50 years.
In 2014 the GHS Children’s Autism Center was opened and offered Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) services for eligible children in Genesee County.
In 2017 the Autism Center expanded to include Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) testing.
Most recently, the NCE was added to offer assessments to those children and individuals impacted by the Flint Water Crisis.
Who We Are?
The NCE has highly trained doctoral level licensed neuropsychologists who study how learning and behavior are related to brain development and neural networks through comprehensive neuropsychological assessments.
What is a Neuropsychological Assessment?
Neuropsychological assessments take a look into how a child or an individual:
- Problem Solves
- Remembers Information both in the short and long term
- Uses and understands language
- Processes information visually and verbally in different ways
How can a Neuropsychological Assessment Help?
- Helps identify a child’s strengths and areas of difficulty
- Helps parents, educators, and physicians figure out what reasons are behind a child’s difficulties
(e.g., processing/thinking, learning, emotions and behaviors, etc.)
- Identifies educational and behavioral health treatment needs
- Provides a comprehensive list of recommendations and next steps
- Helps the child and family be able to access recommended services, such as educational, behavioral health, and medical healthcare services
Who is Eligible?
To receive a FREE and Medicaid covered neuropsychological assessment, the individual must meet ALL of the following:
- Be between 3 and 26 years of age
- Has not yet graduated from High School
- Have lived, worked or attended day-care/school in Flint or surrounding areas supplied by the lead-contaminated Flint water, anytime from April 2014 to present.
- Currently reside in Genesee County
If you are not sure about eligibility, please call the NCE at 810-496-5677 to discuss.
How Do I Get Started?
If you would like to request an assessment please do one of the following:
Call us at (810) 496-5677
Complete the online registration form by clicking here
Download, print, and fax the referral form (click here) back to (810) 257-3757
Contact the Flint Registry
What is Next?
Once the referral has been received, NCE will contact the child/individual’s parent/guardian and begin the screening process.